Wednesday, January 10, 2007




I toured the Coast Guard icebreaker "Polar Sea" last night. It was a pretty neat boat with lots of power. 75,000 horses to be exact. Apparently she's got 6 diesel engines, 3 Jet turbines and 4 generators aboard. I can't remember how much gas it burns in a day, but the figure was pretty astronomical. The ship is currently carrying 1.5 million gallons of fuel... that's a lot.

It's pretty odd to have all these coasties in town, especially since most of them are younger than I am... and there's 150 of them. Mactown has been invaded! Good thing I'm leaving, haha.

I also popped up to check on our little skua family last night. There are two chics that have hatched within the last week and a very protective mother and father. I think I mentioned this earlier in the blog, but the fascinating thing about skuas is that they always have a clutch of two, but the mother eventually kills the weaker one and feeds it to the stronger chic. Wow, what an amazing survival strategy!

Well, I'm off tomorrow afternoon, so until then my friends.

~G

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home